You don’t hear from me fairly often as a result of I’m previous and I’m Jewish. However after 2020, I’m additionally a bit determined. As Princess Leia stated to Obi-Wan Kenobi: “You’re my solely hope.”
Right here’s my vacation want record for 2021:
1. I need the worldwide pharmaceutical business to place public well being forward of earnings by collaborating to supply sufficient doses of COVID-19 vaccines so that everybody who desires a vaccination can get it by midyear.
2. I need the World Well being Group (with the U.S. rejoined) to convene a Zoom assembly of all producers and authorities leaders, and never allow them to off the decision till they determine make the vaccine free for all with enough provide in each nation.
three. I need at the very least 80% of Individuals to disregard the vaccine skeptics and get their photographs.
four. I need public well being officers to loudly publicize the short-term uncomfortable side effects of the vaccines so folks don’t get bamboozled by tweets from disinformation super-spreaders; and I need those self same officers to make sure each neighborhood will get an enough provide of the vaccine.
5. I need each American to adjust to masking and social distancing pointers for the following a number of months so our beleaguered front-line healthcare staff—who deserve a lot greater than being named No. 1 on Fashionable Healthcare’s 100 Most Influential Individuals in Healthcare record—can get some much-needed relaxation.
6. I need each American to have complete medical health insurance that covers all important medical providers, with complete out-of-pocket spending, together with out-of-network expenses, by no means rising above a fairly low proportion of annual revenue.
7. I need elected officers within the dozen states that haven’t expanded Medicaid to heed the examples of Oklahoma and Missouri, GOP-dominated states the place voters this yr accredited by massive majorities poll initiatives increasing this system beneath the Reasonably priced Care Act.
eight. I need Sen. Mitch McConnell to understand that failing to grant emergency support to state and native governments will harm his state greater than most. Kentucky, the place a 3rd of the inhabitants and over 60% of kids are on Medicaid, will get 72% of its Medicaid funding from the federal authorities as a result of its median revenue is fourth-lowest within the U.S.
9. I need the incoming Biden administration to plan a complete plan that addresses the social determinants of well being and units particular objectives for decreasing racial disparities in well being outcomes.
10. I need each healthcare employee to earn at the very least $15 an hour, and that minimal wage ought to go up at the very least as a lot because the inflation charge yearly.
11. I need Congress and the incoming Biden administration to offer enough monetary assist to hospitals, nursing houses, dwelling well being and hospice businesses to assist that stage of wages.
12. I need members of Congress to disregard their hedge fund donors and put an finish to shock billing. Let hospitals, insurance coverage firms and their commerce teams type out the mess.
13. I need increased pay for primary-care, behavioral well being, geriatric, and household/pediatric physicians, which can encourage extra medical college students to enter these fields. Put coal within the AMA’s Relative Worth Scale Replace Committee’s stocking. Possibly it can get the trace.
14. I need Congress to do extra to deal with opioid habit and make investments extra within the hardest-hit communities, together with in an infrastructure invoice with funding to transform small hospitals, each city and rural, into complete wellness and therapy facilities that may function financial anchors.
15. Lastly, I need to see actual progress in transferring all suppliers into value-based fee preparations in order that managing peoples’ well being, not their sicknesses, turns into the brand new regular.
Completely happy holidays, everybody. Could your 2021 be higher than 2020. It’s received to be, proper?